What a great grab-and -go breakfast this is! A more nutritious version of the traditional rock cake, these tasty little snacks are packed with low-GI carbohydrate, omega-3 essential fatty acids and antioxidants, ideal to boost your energy first thing in the morning (or any other time of day for that matter!)
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ingredients for 18 rock cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Place the walnuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- Lightly grease two baking trays with a little butter.
- Place the egg, butter, sugar, honey and syrup in a large bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the oats, carrots, raisins, apricots, dates, walnuts and spices.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and stir to combine. The mixture will be a soft dough-like consistency.
- Form little rocky mounds with a dessert spoon on the baking trays, leaving space between each mound for the mixture to spread a little.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden. With a spatula, transfer the cookies to a cooling tray and leave to cool and crisp up.