Five Bean Chilli
On a cold day, warm up with this totally delicious 5 Bean Chilli. Simple, delicious and extremely nutritious, it's packed with #Enerjoy! Perfect for #Veganuary or if you are trying to eat a more plan-based diet. Low in fat and high in fibre, eating beans and pulses will also help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. Rich in B Vitamins, slow-releasing carbohydrate, potassium and protein, this is a great dish to get you back on track after overindulging over Christmas!
Prep 5 mins | Cook 25 mins | Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled, sliced
- 1 stick celery, chopped finely
- 1 fresh green chilli, deseeded, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 400g can kidney beans in chilli sauce
- ½ can each cannellini beans, black beans, butter beans, chickpeas, drained
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of brown sugar
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- cheddar cheese, grated
- fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Avocado slices and more chopped fresh green chillis
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and gently sauté the onion, chilli and celery for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and the spices and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tinned beans and tomatoes, brown sugar and vinegar and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer very gently for 20 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Add the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in warmed bowls with rice or tortillas, and the toppings.