Colourful, nutritious, warming, and a great way to add to your 5-a-day! I first discovered this classic recipe as a 17 year old when, working as an au pair in Germany, I was sent out to buy ‘a kilo of paprika’. Much to my employer’s dismay, I returned with an enormous bag of ground paprika, unaware that the German word for ‘red pepper’ was indeed ‘Paprika’!
Brightly coloured peppers are rich sources of vitamin C and vitamin A (the antioxidant beta-carotene) and also contain good amounts of fibre and minerals such as potassium. Scoop up the juices with a chunk of fresh crusty bread.
Ingredients to serve 4
Prep time – 5–10 minutes/Cooking time – 20 minutes
- 4 red peppers, or a mixture of yellow, orange and red peppers, cut in
- half lengthways, with seeds removed
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced quite thinly (use passata if you have
- no fresh tomatoes)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4–6 tinned anchovies, chopped finely
- handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped, keep some back to sprinkle on top
- plenty of freshly ground black pepper (no salt needed because of the
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 50g feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7.
- Place the pepper halves on to a baking tray so that they fit snugly into each pepper half, place even amounts of the tomato, garlic, basil and anchovies.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the peppers and season with some black pepper, then place into your really hot oven.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, or until soft and caramelised (they should be going a little black around the edges to be at their best).
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle over some fresh basil leaves, some more black pepper and the balsamic vinegar (you could also add some feta cheese here) and eat, soaking up the juices with a hunk of crusty bread.
This recipe is from Kate's Go Faster Food book.
Why not try our new 'Active Family' Book and Bites bundle? A copy of Kate Percy's Go Faster Food For Your Active Family recipe book plus 5 FREE packs of Kate Percy's award-winning Go Bites ( 1 x each flavour).
Click on the image for more information!