This breakfast will set you up for a packed day of #enerjoy! What’s more, prepared the night before, it’s an ideal quick-fix breakfast, just as quick as pouring a bowl of cereal...and a whole lot more sustaining.
Created by Dr Bircher-Benner in the 1890’s as a healthy meal for his patients in his Zurich hospital, birchermuesli provides an excellent balance of heart-healthy, sustaining nutrients, including good quality protein, slow-release carbohydrates, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and cholesterol-reducing fibre. And one of your five-a-day thrown in for good measure...
Prep < 5mins + overnight soaking
Equipment required: A bowl and a grater
Ingredients to serve 2
- 1 cup unsweetened muesli with fruit and nuts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- Milk to cover the muesli
- Splash of apple juice
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- Small handful of almonds, toasted, or sunflower seeds
- 1 pear, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- Runny honey to drizzle on top
- Place the muesli, chia seeds and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour over enough milk to cover generously and add a splash of apple juice.
- Grate half the ginger and stir into the mixture.
- Leave for a couple of hours, or over overnight, in the fridge.
- When you are ready to eat your Birchermuesli, remove from the fridge, grate over the rest of the fresh ginger, add the pear slices, a dollop of natural yoghurt, the almonds or seeds and a good drizzle of honey.