Real Fast Chicken Tikka Masala
Warming & creamy, a perfect meal for a Monday night or a family meal. The secret to this recipe is to use a curry paste; I use Patak's Masala Paste (making it yourself is amazing... but it takes days!). Swap out the chicken for eggplant or sweet potato for vegetarians. Let me know how you get on!
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (optional!)
- Black pepper
- 5 tbsp tikka masala paste
- 2 red peppers, deseeded, cubes
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, crushed
- 2 red chillis, deseeded, finely sliced
- 4 free-range skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2cm chunks
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 100ml coconut cream
- 200ml natural yoghurt
- chopped coriander leaves, lime wedges, cashew nuts, naan or rice to serve
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and sauté the onions gently for 10 minutes until golden. Stir in the salt, cumin and fenugreek seeds and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the masala paste. Add the red peppers, garlic, ginger and chillis, then add the chicken pieces, stirring well to coat with the paste.
- Add the tomato puree, coconut cream and 200ml water. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Leave for a minute. Stir in the natural yoghurt and a squeeze of lime juice. Warm through without boiling or the yoghurt will curdle.
- Season, then serve with the fresh coriander, cashew nuts, extra red chilli, lime wedges and basmati rice and/or naan bread.
Leave a comment