Real Fast Energy Bars!
Crammed with nutrient-rich, unrefined carbohydrate as well as protein, good fats and an impressive spectrum of minerals, these very delicious energy bars will gradually release their sugars into the bloodstream to provide a consistent level of energy. They’ll keep for days in an airtight container, or wrap in foil for when you're out and about. For an even greater nutrient boost, add the optional chia - It's packed with the good stuff!
Prep – 5 mins
Cook – 50 mins
Equipment needed: Non-stick saucepan and a 18 x 25cm or 12 bar baking tray
Ingredients for 12 bars
- 1 x 297g can condensed milk
- 1 heaped tbsp crunchy peanut butter (can use cashew or almond butter as an alternative)
- 80g pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or mixture
- 20g poppy seeds
- 40g soft, pitted dates, chopped
- 40g soft apricots, chopped
- 40g raisins, sultanas or dried cranberries
- 25g crystallised ginger, chopped finely
- 15g (1 tbsp) milled Chia seeds (optional)
- 230g porridge oats (use half jumbo, half standard)
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas mark 4. Grease a 12 bar or 18 x 25 cm baking tray.
- Pour the condensed milk into a saucepan and gently warm through. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and spoon into the baking tray. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tray and cut into squares.
This recipe is from Kate's Active Family book.
Why not try our new Book and Bites bundle? A copy of Kate Percy's Go Faster Food For Your Active Family recipe book plus 5 FREE packs of Kate Percy's award-winning Go Bites ( 1 x each flavour).
My go to energy bar when training for any race especially half marathons. So easy to make and delicious. 😋
Leave a comment