One of my favourite weekday supper dishes. Rich in omega-3’s, antioxidants and an excellent source of vitamin E, fibre, magnesium and heart-healthy B vitamins, the hazelnuts transform this pasta dish into creamy nutritious deliciousness.
Ingredients to serve 4
- 400g wholemeal spaghetti
- 50g whole hazelnuts
- Pinch of salt
- 200g ricotta cheese
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped finely
- Freshly ground black pepper
- large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped roughly
- 2 slices Parma ham, cut into shreds
- zest of 1 lemon
- 25g parmesan cheese, shaved
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3.
- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Leave to cool.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions
- Meanwhile, gently fry the shallot in a large pan in a good tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Add the Parma ham and warm through.
- In a blender, blitz the hazelnuts, ricotta, nutmeg, lemon zest and garlic until smooth (or use a pestle and mortar).
- When the pasta is cooked, drain, reserving a small ladleful of the cooking water, and return to the pan. Add the shallots, ham and hazelnut sauce and toss together, adding the reserved cooking water and 1 tbsp olive oil to loosen it up.
- Season with salt and black pepper and serve with a good helping of parmesan shavings and a green salad.