Sweet and delicious, corn is surprisingly nutrient-rich, loaded with carotenoids, which fight infection and promote healthy eyesight, hair and skin, as well as carbohydrate, fibre, vitamin C and manganese. These fritters tend to be a hit with all ages. Try them served with chopped avocado and crispy bacon, grilled chicken or lamb chop!
- Prep – 5 mins
- Cook– 5 mins
Ingredients for 12 fritters
- 1 large, free range egg
- 1 large can sweetcorn, drained
- 2 tbsp creamed canned sweetcorn
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ tsp green chilli, v finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ - ½ tsp salt and a few grinds of black pepper
- zest of one lime
- 25g fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp gram (chickpea) flour or plain flour
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil for frying
- Ketchup or chilli sauce for dipping
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl and lightly whisk with a fork. Add the sweet corn, the creamed sweet corn, spring onions, chilli, cumin, seasoning, lime zest, coriander and flour. Stir until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat. Dollop tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove with a slice and place onto a piece of kitchen towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve with homemade ketchup or chilli sauce.