If you want to spice up your lunchtime routine, try my quick and easy Thai-style Tuna Burgers with Asian Slaw. Super convenient and high in protein, tuna’s an excellent store cupboard staple, and totally delicious combined with other long-life ingredients such as Thai fish sauce, curry paste, ginger and peanut butter. The slaw is packed with the good stuff, including fibre, vitamin A and C, calcium, iron, potassium and other minerals.
Ingredients to make 4 burgers
- ½ small red or white cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 x cans of tuna, drained
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tsp thai red curry paste
- a few drops Thai fish sauce
- a few drops sesame oil
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
- squeeze of lime juice
- grated zest of half a lime
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or coconut oil
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
- First make the slaw. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Stir well, cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, mash the tuna with a fork. then stir in the rest of the ingredients (except the oil), until well combined.
- Using your hands, make burger patties and arrange on a large plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown, taking care when you flip them over.
- Serve with the slaw and some sweet chilli sauce on the side.