Simple, easy on the stomach, and a fantastic source of carbohydrate (the most accessible source of energy for athletes), protein and healthy fats. Pasta also has a low glycaemic index, which means that the carbohydrate is released gradually into your bloodstream to give you longer lasting energy. The balance of ingredients in pesto really depends on taste, so don’t worry too much about exact quantities. If you want to add some meat, fry up some bacon pieces or some pieces of chicken breast and scatter over at the end, with the basil and parmesan.
Nutrition per serving
- Energy (kcal) 509
- Carbohydrate (g) 58 (Of which sugars (g) - )
- Fat (g) 23 (Of which saturates (g) 4)
- Protein (g) 19
- Salt (g) 0.5
- Fibre (g) 1
Prep – 5 mins | Cook – 10-15 mins
Ingredients to serve 4
- 400g spaghetti
- 50g pack of fresh basil leaves, stalks removed roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 50g handful pine nuts, lightly toasted if you like
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Pound the garlic, salt and the basil leaves in a pestle and mortar or food processor.
- Add the pine nuts, pepper and olive oil and pound or process again until the required consistency is achieved. Add the parmesan cheese and stir in. Add lemon juice to taste.
- Cook the pasta, according to pack instructions.
- Warm the pesto sauce in a saucepan.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water to stop the pasta sticking together.
- Add to the pesto sauce, gently shaking the pan to coat the pasta with the pesto.
- Serve in warmed pasta bowls and decorate with some more fresh basil and parmesan shavings.
This recipe is from Kate Percy’s latest book, Go Faster Food for your Active Family, which puts top nutrition advice into practice with 101 delicious family-friendly recipes. Go Faster Food for your Active Family is available to buy HERE or on Amazon or you can grab a Bites and Book Bundle!
For a step by step guide to this recipe, click on this #CookWithKate Video...