Have you ever tried black beans in a brownie? Honestly, it’s a revelation. These flourless Black Bean Brownies are light, gooey and sweet, yet packed with protein, B vitamins, minerals such as iron, potassium, folic acid and calcium, as well as fibre. Do you need any more excuses to tuck in?
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes 9 brownies
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 3 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g macadamia nuts, halved
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 30g cocoa powder
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease an 18cm square loose-bottomed baking tray.
- Mash the black beans to a rough puree with a fork.
- Combine the beans, eggs, sunflower oil, nuts, choc chips and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and gently stir to until just combined.
- Transfer to the baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top is cooked but the centre still gooey. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then cut into squares.