Granola has earned a bad reputation in the recent sugar debate, and admittedly many shop-bought varieties can be loaded with the white stuff. This totally delicious version, however, contains just a little honey and has an excellent balance of slow releasing carbohydrate, protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. We love it before or after training, or as a sneaky late night snack, with natural yoghurt and blueberries. Although the name suggests otherwise, buckwheat is not related to wheat, nor is it even a true grain. It is the fruit seed of a plant similar to rhubarb! A good source of protein, B vitamins and manganese, magnesium and copper, it’s an awesome ingredient for vegetarian or vegan triathletes, or those with wheat or gluten sensitivities.
Equipment needed: large, flat baking sheet, bowl, tablespoon
Prep – <5 minutes; Cook – 25 minutes
Ingredients for 8-10 portions
- 150g jumbo porridge oats, gluten free
- 100g buckwheat (untoasted)
- 100g mixed nuts & seeds (I like a mix of pumpkin & pecans or hazelnuts, but use what you like)
- 50g coconut flakes
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut, rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- 100g stoned dates, chopped
- 40g crystallised ginger, chopped
- Fresh blueberries and natural yoghurt to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Mix together the oats, buckwheat, nuts, seeds and coconut flakes with the spices, honey, oil, water and salt in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, turning the mixture after 10 minutes or so for it to brown evenly.
- Remove from the oven and mix in the dates and ginger.
- Leave to cool completely. It will crisp up like magic!
- Eat with fresh fruit and natural yoghurt, or sprinkled onto your favourite cereal.
- Keeps fresh and crisp for up to two weeks if stored in an airtight container.
Nutrition per serving
- Energy (kcal) 250
- Carbohydrate (g) 34 (of which sugars (g) 10)
- Fat (g) 12 (Of which saturates (g) 4)
- Protein (g) 6
- Fibre (g) 5
- Salt (g) trace
"I just made this granola and I know it's going to be an absolute hit with my family!In face, my husband just walked past and pinched some. He loved it!" Annette
For more recipes, check out Kate's Books.