Eat your water! I don’t know about you, but I find keeping well-hydrated a massive challenge. Especially during the summer months or when I’m training. Of course it’s not just water we need for good hydration, we lose electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, chloride and magnesium when we sweat, and these are vital for our bodies to function properly . That’s why we often crave salt after endurance. The great news is that many foods not only have an extremely high water content but also have the advantage of being crammed with those all-important minerals we lose when we sweat.
This delicious Thai Pineapple & Cucumber Salad will not only rehydrate and replace electrolytes, but will also help reduce inflammation. Rich in vitamin C, pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain which is said to have anti-inflammatory and digestive properties. Enerjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: No cook
- 1 nice ripe pineapple
- ½ cucumber
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 25g fresh coriander, chopped finely
- 25g fresh mint, chopped finely
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ½ - 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Handful of toasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Peel and core the pineapple and the cucumber, cut into chunks and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the spring onion and fresh herbs, pour over the dressing.
- Toss together to combine. Cover and chill in the fridge until you return from your workout!
- Serve with toasted cashew nuts.