Bring back a taste of the summer and pretend you're eating these at the beach bar with an ice cold beer! Perfect for a speedy mid-week supper or a post-exercise snack. Vegetarians can replace the cod with tofu, jackfruit or perhaps spicy black beans? Delicious! Warning, don't overfill the tacos or they make very messy eating!
Prep 30 mins to marinade | Cook 5 mins | Prep 2 mins | Serves 4
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 fresh green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ tsp each ground turmeric, ground cumin and paprika
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 350g fresh skinless cod loin, cut into 2 cm pieces
- ½ avocado, peeled and chopped into cubes (check out #Cook5WithKate for the ultimate avocado prep hack!)
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1 pack gem lettuce, chopped
- 1 x fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 soft taco shells
- Combine the marinade ingredients.
- Place the fish in a dish, pour over the marinade and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and warm the tacos (lie them on the hot pan for 20 seconds each side), set aside on a plate and cover them with foil to keep warm.
- Place the avocado in a small bowl and squeeze over the lime juice. Sprinkle on the chilli flakes and some salt and pepper. Arrange the lettuce, the sliced red chilli and fresh coriander in separate bowls. Place all this in the middle of the table so each person can assemble their own taco.
- Add the oil to the pan and fry the fish for 2 minutes on each side. Be careful not to overcook as it can become rubbery.
- To serve, take a taco shell, add the avocado, then the crispy lettuce, a couple of pieces of fish and then sprinkle with the fresh chilli and coriander. Don’t overfill your taco or there will be consequences!