Prep 5 mins | No cook | Serves 4
- 75g walnuts
- 50g pack fresh basil leaves
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 75 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 30g parmesan cheese, grated
- Juice of half a lemon, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pound the basil leaves with the garlic and salt in a pestle and mortar or blitz in a food processor.
- Add the walnuts, pepper and olive oil and pound or blitz again until the required consistency is achieved – I like mine quite coarse, but you may prefer smooth…
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and add the lemon juice. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Use as a sauce for pasta, or with griddled aubergines, salmon, chicken or lamb chops, or spread on your sandwiches!