#Cook5WithKate · Budget Meals · HAPPINESS · HEALTH · NOURISHMENT · Plant Based · Vegan · Vegetarian ·
Butterbean, Mushroom & Spinach Bhaji
Curry time! A taste of spice, this butterbean, mushroom and spinach bhaji is an aromatic vegan curry, packed with prebiotic fibre, protein, iron and B vitamins.
You can make this in advance if you like, until the end of step 3.
Enjoy scooping up the sauce with brown rice or naan bread!
Prep 5 mins | Cook 30 mins | Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp each cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black mustard seeds, ground turmeric, garam masala
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 400g tin butterbeans, drained
- 200g button mushrooms
- 4 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- A good pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g spinach
- 2 fresh green chillis, sliced in half lengthways
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Juice of half a lime
- 25g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and gently fry the spices together for about 30 seconds, stirring all the time. Add the onion and the garlic and sauté gently for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and the butterbeans and cook for another minute so they are well-covered with the spice mix. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, chillis, the veg stock and seasoning and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens. You may need to add a little more stock.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in the coriander. Add a squeeze of lime juice. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with brown basmati rice and mango chutney!
Leave a comment