Avocado pesto is a delicious and healthy twist on the classic Italian sauce. And this homemade version is SO much tastier than the bought variety! Very simple to make, it's one of my go-to recipes to get kids involved with cooking. Great with pasta, chicken or halloumi and amazing for adding a little pzazz to your lunchtime sandwich.
High in slow-releasing carbohydrate and healthy fats, this recipe is one of my favourites for the night before endurance training or a race.
And it's always a winner with fussy eaters!
Avocado pesto can provide several health benefits as it is made with nutrient-dense ingredients. Here are some of the health benefits of avocado pesto:
Rich in healthy fats: Avocado is a great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that can help reduce inflammation and improve cholesterol levels.
Contains fibre: Avocado pesto contains fibre from the avocado, which can help regulate digestion and keep you feeling full for longer periods of time.
It's loaded with vitamins and minerals: Avocado pesto contains vitamins A, C, K, and E, as well as minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium, which are essential for good health.
It may even help reduce the risk of chronic diseases: The healthy fats and antioxidants in avocado pesto may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Supports the immune function: The garlic in avocado pesto is rich in compounds that can help boost the immune system and protect against infections.
So, it's worth a try! Avocado pesto is healthy and packed with flavour. A great alternative to traditional pesto sauces with a fantastic range of health benefits.
Here's a simple recipe for you to try at home:
Prep 5 mins | Cook 12 mins | Serves 4
- 4-500g linguini, wholemeal if poss.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- large pinch of salt
- plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- zest of 1 lemon, and Juice of half a lemon
- 25g pack basil leaves
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g Pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Cook the linguini in a large pan of salted boiling water, according to the instructions on the pack.
- Now make the pesto. On a chopping board, cut the avocados in half and remove the stones. Scoop out the flesh and transfer to a flat plate. Mash with a fork, then add the garlic, salt and pepper, and a good squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
- Pound the basil leaves in a pestle and mortar or blitz in a food processor. Add the mashed avocado, olive oil and parmesan and pound or blitz again. Taste for seasoning; you may want to add a little more lemon juice.
- Drain the linguini when it is ready, reserving 2 tbsp of the cooking water. Return it to the saucepan, with the reserved cooking water (this prevents the pasta from sticking together), and then stir in the avocado pesto. Mix until the pasta is well-coated with pesto.
- Serve on four warmed plates and scatter over the pine nuts, the dried chilli flakes and the lemon zest.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy avocado pesto!